If you are from Virginia like me, you know that the amount of pollen and other allergens that hit full force in the beginning of spring is nuts! People everywhere are suffering from:
• Itchy, watery eyes
• A runny nose
• Constant sneezing
• A wheezy cough
Common springtime allergens like mold spores, pollen and grass can cause an array of symptoms. When allergy symptoms strike, many people automatically reach for antihistamines but do they really work?
The truth: Allergy medications serve to temporarily relieve symptoms, but do nothing to address the underlying cause.
Ever wonder why some people are affected by seasonal allergies while others aren’t? An allergy is not caused by the allergen itself, but by the immune system’s inability to fight off the adverse effects of the allergen. In other words, the immune system is too tired, stressed or weak to fight off the allergen. So, allergies = poor immune function.
The good news is, there are natural ways to beat seasonal allergies and improve your immune function. So, before reaching for over the counter meds, try some of the natural strategies below!
NATURAL ALLERGY RELIEF
- Eat Right.A healthy diet is key to a healthy immune system. Eat more fresh, whole foods and do your best to avoid sugar and processed foods. Consider avoiding foods that have been aged and fermented (cheese, sausage, alcohol) as they contain histamines. And stay hydrated! Research shows that staying well hydrated can help relieve allergy symptoms.
- See Your Wellness Chiropractor.You may be wondering how chiropractic care can help with allergies. An allergic response is caused by the immune system’s inability to fight off the adverse effects of the allergen. The immune system is controlled by the nervous system. The goal of chiropractic care is to correct misalignments in your spine, called subluxations, so that your nervous system and in turn your immune system can function optimally. Book a chiropractic appointment today!
- Consider Supplements.Vitamin C is an excellent, not to mention inexpensive, natural antihistamine. I recommend Effer C by Douglas Labs. A good quality pro-biotic like Multi-Probiotic 4000 by Douglas Labs can also help boost your immune system. Same goes for vitamin D. If you’re looking for something specifically made for allergies, Al-Gen by Seroyal that really seems to do the job! All of the mentioned supplements are available at the clinic.
- Try a Saline Rinse.This can help flush pollen, and other allergens from your sinuses and nasal passages before they have a chance to wreak havoc on your body. You can purchase a kit at your local health store.
- Use Essential Oils.One of the most amazing benefits of essential oils are their ability to fight inflammation and boost the immune system; meaning they can help fight allergies. When allergy symptoms persist try diffusing peppermint, eucalypts, lemon, basil or tea tree oil in your home.
Do you have any natural solutions you’d like to add to the list? Leave a comment below and feel free to share these tips with anyone you know who might be suffering from allergies this spring.
If you are ready to take action and seek the help of a chiropractor, This is what you need to do now. Click here and give us a call to make your new patient appointment. I look forward to seeing you and creating immense value for you. To read up on more health and wellness tips follow our blog here.